March 09, 2007

Great Guitarist

I am a guitarist and it was the first musical instrument I even picked up and started learning. The person who taught me to play my first 3 chords (C,F,G7) was my dad. Eventually, I ended up playing those old numbers from the 50s and 60s. He was a guitarist for his army band back then. I still remember the first song I played, Jambalaya. What a great song and still is, but it took me almost 3 weeks to learn the chords even though it was easy, just only 2 chords, but I was strumming like an idiot with no sense of getting anywhere, I was a dum-ass. Probably, I’m not a natural guitarist and had to slog as my fingers were stiff like planks. Oh, I still remember having those cuts on my fingers, really hurts and I almost gave up. But I was too determined to rock like those great guitarists, and gradually I started learning the guitar on my own after my dad gave-up on me. Probably he realised that I was hopeless. After so many years of struggling and suffering, today I think I am an acceptable guitarist, neither a professional nor an expert, but I am good enough to play for a band. I used to jam and did some gigs in clubs. Anyway, I still envy those great guitarists like Jimmy Hendrix, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, Santana, Jimmy Page, Buddy Holly, Tony Sheridan, Hank Marvin…I better stop here because my list is endless. If you ask me what is my guitar niche and style? I would answer everything from “The Shadows” to the hard and lame rockers, to the deep and funky blues. Whenever I hear a great tab, I will eventually try to learn it regardless who plays those six strings. I better stop here, if I don’t, this will end-up being 20 pages long, but don’t worry, gradually I will tell you more about my guitar memories and how I ended up in gigs. I’ve included some video clips of the Great Guitarist here, so please enjoy it. Oh, how I wish to have their soul!! So ROCK away GREAT ones.













AddThis Feed Button