March 04, 2007

Still remember those earring years


The finest reason of being young is to have the opportunity to discover many fresh and unique fashions. When I was a young man, I was way too contemporary, and one of the most fashionable things I ever did, probably one of the stupidest or the craziest, was the moment I pierced my own ear. Yes, I did it by myself with a pine needle. If you are wondering, yes it was one hell of a painful experience. Don’t do it yourself unless you are desperate, like I was.

I think the trend of men’s ear piercing started through the influence of the most influential punk rocker, Billy Idol. His songs like “Rebel Yell” and “Mony Mony” together with his musical videos played a big part in changing “how men should express and display their appearances”. He was so trendy back then during the early 80’s, and like him, I was one of those young punks, trying to make a statement about my tastes in fashion and more importantly, about myself. I feel, Billy’s songs (music) are very influential and moreover if you listen to his music, you will get a rebellious feeling. Listen to both of these songs (located at "article box">>>>) you will know what I mean.

Before I continue my story, what’s about the left and right ear? Till today, no one have really come forward to set the standards right. Some people claimed that men’s sexuality is determined by which ear he places his earring. In England, if a man wears his earring on the left ear, he is a gay, whereas in Canada, gay-men wear it on the right. I think with all these confusions, men nowadays decided to pierced both ears, and frankly I am now more confused then ever. Does anyone have the right answer?

Ok back to my story. I pierced the “left side” because I felt rebellious, and I needed to be trendy, moreover trying to be cute for the girls. But, did I look sissy? Maybe at first, but eventually society understood that men felt the necessity to make their outward appearance like women, like those women who make their outward appearance like men. Does that make sense?

One thing I am sure most religion forbids this act, but some do encourage it. How about pirates? Do we prescribe ourselves morally like them or are we following their trend too? I read somewhere which explained why pirates wear big earrings and I will post it in my next article.

Many parents object to their sons wearing earrings, including mine. My dad was so furious when he discovered my pierced ear. Subsequently, I had to remove it and eventually after a few days the hole closed and that’s the end of my trendy ear. If you ask me now if I regretted not keeping it, well, frankly I am glad my dad “kicked me arse”, because as I got older the desire of being trendy mellowed down, and I realised, back then, I was just a silly kid. As for Billy, he will always be my idol and I will always remember him for that “almost hole in the ear".




AddThis Feed Button